Relocating with Children in Indiana

  • August 29th, 2016
  • Chris Bandemer
  • Comments Off on Relocating with Children in Indiana

If you have a custody order (paternity or decree of dissolution) in Indiana and you want to move (i.e. relocate) then you must comply with Indiana Code 31-17-2.2 .  which states that 90 days prior to a move the relocating party must notify the court and the non-relocating party (your ex) by registered or certified mail about the move.  The motion must state information relating to where you are moving, when you intend to move, your phone number, whether the current visitation schedule will work or if a new one is necessary, etc.  Thereafter, your ex will have sixty (60) days to file an objection to your relocation.  If the court receives an objection, the matter will be set for a hearing.  If no objection is made, the court can grant the request for relocation without a hearing.   Indiana Code 31-17-2.2 applies to custodial and non-custodial parents.  It applies if you are moving across the street or across the country.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact me to discuss any matters related to relocation.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.